Shopping for a prom dress with your daughter can be an exciting and bonding experience but it can also be frustrating if you aren’t up to date on all the rules and details of prom these days. The dress trends and guidelines have massively changed since you attended prom so do your research before heading out to shop.
- Check the dress code of your daughter’s school. Many schools have strict rules concerning modesty, beginning with that short dresses must be at least 17 inches from the waistline or at least mid-thigh and completely cover your daughter’s rear end when dancing. Some schools have other considerations such as prom dresses shouldn’t go lower than the bra line, have a completely open back, or show your daughter’s belly button. Therefore, it’s wise to know what’s not allowed and what your guidelines are before you begin shopping.
- Research the current prom dress trends. This season, it’s all about modern flair, and how many colors can be worn throughout the seasons, especially the elegant-looking black. If your daughter wants a slimming, classic look, suggest a black dress in jersey or even lace. The two-piece gowns showing just a tiny bit of skin are also popular as is one-shoulder gowns.
- Know which dresses fit your daughter’s physique the best and will flatter her. If your daughter has a curvy apple figure, try an empire waist dress because they’ll show off her bust line and flare out over her hips. If your daughter is petite, suggest a shorter bandage-style dress or a two-piece fit and flare dress because she’ll feel lost in a long gown. Just make it a goal to find something that makes her sparkle like a princess.
- Know the actual rules of prom dress shopping today. For example, if your daughter is attending someone else’s prom or a junior prom, it’s tradition to wear a shorter dress. However, if it’s her senior prom, teen girls often opt for longer, elegant prom dresses. In addition, once your daughter finds her dress, it’s customary to post a photo of it on social media to make sure no one else buys it. Things sure have changed, haven’t they?
- Shop at reliable prom dress shops. Pick a boutique that carries thousands of the current dresses so that you and your daughter can peruse a selection online and then try on a selection in-store. If you can, find a shop that not only has exceptional customer service but will assist you in today’s rules by keeping track of which dress your daughter ordered to ensure no other classmate wears the same one.
- Be prepared for shopping day. In order to have a fun and successful day, eat a good breakfast before you start and make sure you discuss the budget. In addition, bring an emergency kit, complete with hair supplies to experiment with, band-aids, and snacks to keep energy up.
Prom has really changed in its trends since you went to prom, but you can help your daughter look gorgeous and appropriate if you follow these trends.